The very mention of Samarkand evokes images of caravans and ancient empires, a land surrounded in mystery and legend. The former capital of the warrior Tamerlane’s empire and currently the second-largest city in Uzbekistan, Samarkand is a fascinating conglomerate of ancient and modern, a city where foreign tourists, religious pilgrims and the local population intermingle freely.
Samarkand is so rich in culture and history that there is simply not enough time to experience it all in a day! With our two-day Samarkand city tour package, you can leisurely wander the ‘must-see’ sites of this enchanting city – Registan, Ulugbek Observatory, Shakhi Zinda - and still have time for the more hands-on experiences of carpet-weaving, paper-making and exploring an archeological excavation site.
- Tour of the spectacular Registan Square, the social and commercial center of Samarkand for centuries. The square includes three madrasahs: Ulugbek Madrasah (15th century), Sher-Dor Madrasah (17th century) and Tilla-Kori Madrasah (17th century);
- Walk along a boulevard lined with workshops and souvenir stores to reach Siab Bazaar, where you can sample or buy sweets, fruits and Samarkand’s famous bread;
- Visit Bibi Khanum Mosque, built by Tamerlane for his favorite wife;
- Explore Shakhi Zinda (Living King) complex, constructed gradually between the 9th-14th centuries. Climb the blue-domed path and explore more than 20 small mausoleums that line the broad alleyway;
- Continue sightseeing at Mausoleum of Gur-Emir – the resting place of Tamerlane and Ulugbek;
- Drive to the Ulugbek Observatory to see the remains of a 14th-15th century sextant; tour the Ulugbek museum.
- Excavation site and museum of the ancient city of Afrosiab;
- Mausoleum of Khodja Daniyar, believed to be the Koranic and Biblical prophet Daniel, whose remains were brought here by Tamerlane;
- Drive to Konigil village to observe the traditional way of making Samarkand paper from mulberry leaves;
- Excursion to the Oriental Silk carpet factory in Samarkand.
- Private, local guide;
- Entrance fees to the sights as per itinerary;
- Transport throughout the city tour.