Yet within this rugged town is the Savitsky Museum, renowned throughout Central Asia and beyond for its large, one-of-a-kind collection of Russian archeologist and painter Igor Savitsky’s works. Once banned in the USSR, his paintings and collections are now proudly on display, reflecting his artistic ability, appreciation for the cultural beauty of Karakalpakstan and his connections throughout the USSR that allowed him to accrue a large collection of avante-garde paintings.
OrexCA’s tour of Nukus City and Savitsky Museum is a great introduction to the traditions and culture of the Karakalpak region. With your private guide and driver you’ll be able to visit the historical remains located outside the city limits, accessible only be car, and have a personal translator/guide in the Savitsky Museum, allowing you to take full advantage of your tour through this remarkable museum.
In the morning your guide and driver will pick you up from your hotel to start your tour of the Savitsky Museum and Nukus city. Your private tour will include:
- A drive to the Mizdakhan Necropolis, an ancient cemetery and one of the oldest and most visited pilgrimage sites of Karakalpakstan. The Mizdakhan Necropolis includes the Mazlumkhan Sulu Mausoleum (14th century), Mausoleum of Shamun Nabi (12th-13th centuries) and Halika Erjep Madrasah (9th-13th century), among others;
- Continue to the remains of the Gyaur-Kala Fortress, destroyed by Genghis Khan when he conquered the region;
- Return to Nukus. Have a short drive around the city center of Nukus; see the statue and museum of the Karakalpak poet Berdakh;
- Visit the house-museum of Ahmet and Ayimkhan Shamuratov;
- Tour the Savitsky Karakalpakstan Art Museum, a.k.a. the Nukus Museum of Art. (Closed on Mondays). The museum hosts the world's second largest collection of Russian avant-garde art and a large exposition of traditional Karakalpak objects and paintings.
Tour duration: 5-6 hours
- Private, local guide;
- Entrance fees to the sights as per itinerary;
- Transport throughout the city tour.