The Day Tour to Samarkand via Tashkent is a great option for independent travelers who are passing through Tashkent or are on a tight schedule, yet don’t want to miss the opportunity to experience Samarkand themselves. This day long tour includes train travel from Tashkent to Samarkand and back, plus a full day of exploring the best of Samarkand with an experienced, informative guide.
In the morning a driver will pick you up from your hotel to chauffeur you to the railway station for your Tashkent to Samarkand train. (Journey on the high-speed Afrosiyob train is 2 hrs. 10 min, and on the regular-speed Sharq train, 3 hrs. 10 min).
Your private city tour of Samarkand, led by an experienced, local guide, will include the following:
- Gur Emir, the impressive burial site of Tamerlane and Mirzo Ulugbek;
- Registan Square, the social and commercial center of Samarkand for centuries and Samarkand’s most famous site today. The square includes three madrasahs: Ulugbek Madrasah (15th century), Sher-Dor Madrasah (17th century) and Tilla-Kori Madrasah (17th century);
- A boulevard lined with workshops, souvenir stores and ice cream stands;
- Siab Bazaar, a multi-level complex where you can shop for souvenirs and sample sweets, fruits and Samarkand’s famous bread;
- Bibi Khanum Mosque, built by Tamerlane for his favorite wife;
- Shakhi-Zinda, a burial complex built between the 9th-14th centuries. Climb the blue-domed path and explore more than 20 small mausoleums that line the broad alleyway;
- Ulugbek Observatory, the remains of a 14th-15th century sextant, and its accompanying museum dedicated to this amazing astronomer’s life.
At the end of your tour the driver will see you off at the railway station for your train ride back to Tashkent. On arrival, you’ll be picked up by your driver and taken to your hotel. End of your Samarkand Day Tour.
Duration of Samarkand Day Tour:
Travel time - approximately 5 hours
City tour time - approximately 6 hours
- Private, local guide in Samarkand;
- Entrance fees to the sights as per Tashkent-Samarkand itinerary;
- Transport throughout the city tour and train station transfers;
- Economy-class round trip train tickets from Tashkent - Samarkand (if the high-speed train is unavailable, we will purchase tickets for you in the comfortable class on the regular train).
For more Uzbekistan private tours, including a Tashkent-Samarkand-Bukhara tour, check out our ‘Uzbekistan Tours’ page or contact us directly.