The Ancient Fortresses of Khorezm Tour will bring you face-to-face with an area well-known by historians and archeologists for the remains of thousands of fortresses and palaces dotting the landscape. The birthplace of Zoroastrianism and such notable medieval scholars as al-Khorezm and Abu Rayhan Beruniy, Khorezm region has seen thousands of years of invaders, traveling merchants, slave-traders and warriors.
While most tourists who manage to travel as far as western Uzbekistan are sure to explore the city of Khiva, the surrounding area can often be passed over due to complications with travel or limited time. On your tour of the fortresses of historical Khorezm, your professional guide will not only transport you to each location but explain to you the history in greater detail, ensuring that you get to experience firsthand this fascinating aspect of Uzbekistan’s history.
In the morning your guide will pick you up from your hotel in Khiva. Begin your day trip to ancient Khorezm in the Kyzylkum Desert (2-hour trip one-way, 140 km). You’ll visit each of the archaeological monuments of the Desert Castles of Ancient Khorezm in the Ellik Kala (Fifty Fortresses) region:
- Kyzyl-Kala (Red Fortress), a remnant of antique history from the Kushan dynasty;
- Toprak-Kala (Earthen Fortress), one of the most unique monuments in all Khorezm due to its size and architecture. You’ll have the chance to explore this ancient settlement, which served as the capital of Khorezm in the 3rd century AD;
- Kirk-Kyz Kala (Fortress of Forty Virgins) - a fortress dating back to the 1st-6th centuries AD and believed to be part of ancient Khorezm’s border defense system;
- Ayaz-Kala - one of the largest fortresses in Khorezm, this fortress complex dates back to the height of the Kushan Empire in the 2nd century AD. Here you can also visit a yurt camp and go for a camel ride.
(Tour duration: approximately 7 hours)
- Private local guide;
- Entrance fees to the sights as per itinerary;
- Transport throughout the city tour;
- Lunch at Yurt Camp.