The Darvaza Gas Crater lies not far from the Kunya-Urgench region of Turkmenistan. This sparsely populated area is the former capital of the Khorezmian Empire and replete with mausoleums, cemeteries, mosques and fortresses from the 12th-16th centuries.
Two-day Darvaza Gas Crater Group Tour from Khiva will take you to the very mouth of the ‘Door to Hell’ itself, where you will camp out near its flames, enjoy the still desert night and see the Darvaza Gas Crater in all its fearsome splendor. You’ll also get a hands-on glimpse into the historical backdrop of the area as you spend a day touring the important historical sites of Kunya-Urgench, all alongside knowledgeable drivers who know their way over the desert paths and are guaranteed to be waiting for you on both sides of the Uzbekistan/Turkmenistan border.
While crossing the border you’ll be required to walk around 1.5 km (app.1 mile) without assistance. Your Turkmenistan guide will meet you at the Turkmenistan border to help you obtain your tourist visa and will then drive you to Kunya-Urgench (100 km, 1 hr 30 min). Your tour will include:
- Visit the Tyurabek-Khanym Mausoleum (14th century), burial site of a Mongolian princess and the Sayid Ahmed Mausoleum (14th century), a leader of the Golden Horde.
- Discover the Kutlug Timur Minaret (11th-13th centuries), which at 62m (203ft) is the tallest minaret in Central Asia.
- Travel to the 12th-century Sultan Tekesh Mausoleum of Khorezmshakh.
- Explore Kyrk Molla Hill (Forty Mullahs Hill), a fortress covering three hectares, including the famous Mamun Library (8th-9th centuries), and an ancient cemetery believed to hold present-day healing powers.
- Walk through the Fakhreddin Razi Mausoleum (a.k.a. mausoleum of Arslan II, 12th-13th centuries), a rare survivor of the Mongol invasion and one of the oldest, most unique structures in all of Central Asia.
- Drive to the Mausoleum of Najmaddin Kubra (12th century), the founder of the Sufi order Kubrawiya, and a favorite pilgrimage site for visiting Muslims.
- View the Sultan Ali Mausoleum (16th century), a half-completed structure intended for a powerful Turkmen ruler, but left unfinished due to ongoing war.
Tour duration: entire day, including approximately 3 hours of touring Kunya-Urgench
Meals: lunch, dinner
- Wake up early to see the sunrise and continue your Turkmenistan group tour at the ‘Gates of Hell’, after enjoying a camp-style breakfast.
- Visit the mud crater and water crater, two smaller versions of the Darvaza Gas Crater.
- Relax on the drive back to the Dashoguz/Shavat border crossing into Uzbekistan (370 km, 5 hrs). You’ll drive through the Karakum Desert, taking stops along the way for photos with sand dunes and camels.
- Go through Turkmenistan/Uzbekistan border formalities at both checkpoints. Cross the 1.5 km (app.1 mile) neutral zone on foot.
- Meet your driver in Uzbekistan and continue on to Khiva (60 km, 1 hr).
Your overnight Turkmenistan tour at the ‘Gates of Hell’ will officially end around 3pm.
- All transportation (Uzbekistan - sedan/minivan, Turkmenistan - 4WD);
- Lunch in Kunya-Urgench;
- Entrance fees to tourist sites as per itinerary;
- Visa support letter for Turkmenistan tourist visa;
- Utensils and necessary equipment for staying in tents (sleeping bags, sleeping mats, pillows, dining table, chairs);
- Camp style dinner and breakfast at Darvaza Crater;
- English-speaking tour guide for your entire time in Turkmenistan.
Dates and prices
|Apr 12, Sun||Apr 13, Mon||Mar 8||Available||US$ 590|
|Apr 26, Sun||Apr 27, Mon||Mar 22||Available||US$ 590|
|May 1, Fri||May 2, Sat||Mar 27||Available||US$ 590|
|May 3, Sun||May 4, Mon||Mar 29||Available||US$ 590|
|May 17, Sun||May 18, Mon||Apr 12||Available||US$ 590|
|May 31, Sun||Jun 1, Mon||Apr 26||Available||US$ 590|
|Aug 9, Sun||Aug 10, Mon||Jul 5||Available||US$ 590|
|Aug 23, Sun||Aug 24, Mon||Jul 19||Available||US$ 590|
|Sep 6, Sun||Sep 7, Mon||Aug 2||Available||US$ 590|
|Sep 20, Sun||Sep 21, Mon||Aug 16||Available||US$ 590|
|Oct 4, Sun||Oct 5, Mon||Aug 30||Available||US$ 590|
|Oct 25, Sun||Oct 26, Mon||Sep 20||Available||US$ 590|
Visited August 2019
Excellent tour allowing to visit Darvaza from Uzbekistan in only 2 days.
The guide was insightful and the conditions of the stay (SUV, tents, etc.) ideal to discover this place.