While the city of Khiva attracts travelers from around the world, it’s typically free from the bustling, lively atmosphere of well-traveled Samarkand and Bukhara, a pleasant mix of noteworthy attractions surrounded in desert stillness. The Islamic architecture and massive city walls are definitely worth the trip out here, and the traditional arts of carpet-making, wood carving and embroidery can still be observed within this ancient fortress.
The one-day Khiva City Tour is perfect for travelers with limited time to tour the region, as it will introduce you to all of the must-see sites and most popular landmarks within the city’s famous walls at a pace that is well-planned yet relaxed.
Begin your city tour of Khiva, a.k.a. the "Museum Under the Open Sky", a city that has been almost completely preserved from the past 1500 years up to the present day. You’ll take a walking tour around the architectural complex Ichan-Qala, the historical center of Khiva and UNESCO World Heritage Site, with one of our knowledgeable local guides.
Your guide will meet you at your hotel, and after beginning your excursion at Kunya-Ark fortress, the inner citadel of Ichan-Qala, you’ll continue on to some of Khiva’s most famous sites:
- Kalta Minor Tower, once destined to be one of the tallest minarets in Central Asia;
- Muhammad Amin-Khan, the biggest medieval madrasa (educational institution) in Khiva; Mukhammad Rahimkhan Madrasa;
- Juma Mosque, built with 212 wooden columns and a minaret 32.5 m high;
- Tash-Hauli Palace (Stone Courtyard Palace), which resembles a fortress with high battlements, towers and fortified gates;
- Necropolis of Pahlavan Mahmud, ancient religious center of Ichan-Qala;
- Residence of Islam Khodja, personal advisor of the last khan. The complex consists of a madrasa and a minaret whose top platform has a height of 45 m, the highest observation point in town. Climb the minaret yourself to enjoy the breathtaking panoramic view!
(Tour duration: approximately 6 hours)
- Private, local guide;
- Entrance fees to the sights as per itinerary.