Karshi City Tour
Yerkurgan Fortress, Nautaka ruins, Karshi Bridge, Abdulazizhon, Qilichbay and Bekmir Madrasahs, Sardoba, Adina Madrasah, Kok-Gumbaz Mosque, Karshi Baths, Karshi World War II Memorial
Karshi City Tour takes you south of Samarkand to a town rarely seen by tourists. Stand in awe before the 8th-century BC Yerekurgan Fortress, the exquisite Kok-Gumbaz Mosque and Sardoba underground cistern. Wander the halls of Odina Madrasah, the region’s sole religious institute for women, and cross Karshi Bridge, one of the oldest viaducts in Central Asia.
The influence of Karshi (Qarshi) dates back to its founding in the 7th century BC. Alexander the Great was left stunned by the tenacity of its inhabitants when he swept through the land, and in later years it was one of the most renowned cities in the Bukhara Khanate. Now the capital of Uzbekistan’s Kashkadarya Region, Karshi stands ready to tell its story to all who are curious enough to listen.
Your guide and driver will pick you up from your Karshi hotel to begin the tour of Karshi, a city over 2700 years old. Your private tour will include:
- Excursion to Yerkurgan Fortress (9th-8th centuries BC) of Nautaka, the first capital of Kashkadarya Region and site of an epic battle between Alexander the Great and Spitamen.
- Walk across Karshi Bridge (Amir Timur Bridge, 16th century), one of the oldest surviving bridges in Central Asia. Built by Abdullakhan II on the Kashkadarya River, it measures 122 meters long and 8 meters wide.
- Tour Abdulazizhon, Qilichbay and Bekmir Madrasahs (dates vary), a quiet complex of religious institutions.
- Visit Sardoba (16th century), an underground water tank which helped to supply water to the arid region and nearby mosque.
- Odina Madrasah (16th century), the only madrasah among hundreds in the Bukhara Emirate which was built for women.
- Kok-Gumbaz Mosque (16th century), the largest and most exquisite mosque in the city which sits on the site of the ancient Namazgah Mosque.
- Karshi Baths (16th century), a restored bathhouse where fact and fiction now intermingle.
- Drive to Karshi World War II Memorial, one of the largest, most unusual monuments of its kind in Central Asia. The rotunda, which looks particularly amazing, creates a unique aura with its stained-glass windows.
Transfer back to the hotel. End of Karshi City Tour.
Tour Duration: approximately 4 hours
Video of Karshi
- Private, local guide;
- Entrance fees to the sights as per itinerary;
- Transportation throughout the tour.
CITY TOUR NOTES
The tour is private with your personal guide. There will be no other people joining the tour.
Our guides will follow your own pace.
The starting time of the tour is up to you and may vary from 09.00 am to 16.00 pm.
We are happy to offer this tour for air/train passengers too. Our guide will meet you at the arrival station.
No tour reviews have been posted yet.