One-Day Samarkand City Tour
Registan Square, Ulugbek Madrasah, Sher-Dor Madrasah, Tilla-Kori Madrasah, Siab Bazaar, Bibi Khanum Mosque, Shakhi Zinda, Mausoleum of Gur-Emir, Ulugbek Observatory
A city tour of Samarkand will give you an in-depth glimpse into the most beloved and mystical city in all of Uzbekistan. Its history can be traced back more than two millennia and its ornate, blue-tiled domes, having weathered centuries, still speak of the glorious city that it once was. With such magnificent attractions as the Registan, Gur Emir, Ulugbek Observatory and Shakhi Zinda, Samarkand is well worth the visit and will certainly not disappoint.
There’s so much to see and do in Samarkand, it can be hard to know where to begin. When you join the one-day Samarkand City Tour, you’re guaranteed to see its most famous and spectacular sights with a knowledgeable and experienced local guide to answer all of your questions along the way.
Your private city tour of Samarkand, led by an experienced, local guide, will include the following:
- Tour of the spectacular Registan Square, the social and commercial center of Samarkand for centuries. The square includes three madrasahs: Ulugbek Madrasah (15th century), Sher-Dor Madrasah (17th century) and Tilla-Kori Madrasah (17th century);
- Walk along a boulevard lined with workshops and souvenir stores to reach Siab Bazaar, where you can sample or buy sweets, fruits and Samarkand’s famous bread;
- Visit Bibi Khanum Mosque, built by Tamerlane for his favorite wife;
- Explore Shakhi Zinda (Living King) complex, constructed gradually between the 9th-14th centuries. Climb the blue-domed path and explore more than 20 small mausoleums that line the broad alleyway;
- Continue sightseeing at Mausoleum of Gur-Emir – the resting place of Tamerlane and Ulugbek;
- Drive to the Ulugbek Observatory to see the remains of a 14th-15th century sextant; tour the Ulugbek museum.
Tour duration: approximately 6 hours
- Private, local guide;
- Entrance fees to the sights as per itinerary;
- Transport throughout the city tour.