Saint-Uspensky Sobor (Assumption Cathedral)
The military campaign was being in a progress on the territory of Central Asia in the 60's of 19th century and the need in creation of a military hospital had arisen in Tashkent. A cemetery for militaries was created nearby the military hospital at the same location. A temporary bell tower was built closely to the hospital and the cemetery; it was consecrated in the name of Saint Panteleimon the Healer on 30 September 1871.
Divine services were celebrated in this small temporary bell tower up to 1878. The benefice was developing and, naturally, the question of a new building had been raised. Chief of the Hospital solicited for construction of a new church at the Military Hospital of Tashkent. Donation collection had been started. Particularly, general - Governor Konstantin Petrovich Von Kaufman had allotted 3000 rubles for this purpose.
There was a separate beautiful stone bell tower with three floors built near the bell tower. Mostly, money for the construction of the new church was given by a merchant belonging to the top guild of Tashkent Dmitry Zakho. By the way, he had been a churchwarden for 15 years. Dmitry Zakho was awarded with an order of Saint Stanislav 2nd for merits and donations by the Department of religious affairs.
On 31 January 1879 Archpriest Andrey Malov had consecrated the new church in the Name of Saint Panteleimon the Healer with the blessing of His Excellence Aleksandr, who was a former bishop of Tashkent and Turkestan.
After 1917 till 1933 the church was in hands of the Renovationists. A sanitary depot No 340 of the Central Asian Military District was located in a building of the former Hospital church till the end of 1945. After the Great Patriotic War the church was returned to believers in December 1945. The Hospital Church became to be called Saint-Uspensky Sobor (Assumption Cathedral).
In 1958-1960 the cathedral was almost rebuilt. Saint-Uspensky Sobor (Assumption Cathedral) was consecrated on 4 September 1958. At ten o'clock sharp, after the consecration, a solemn five-minute ringing was performed in all the churches of the eparchy.
Present day Saint-Uspensky Sobor (Assumption cathedral), being the main church of the capital, has become even more fascinating. The building was renewed, cupolas were restored. His Holiness Patriarch Alexy II was met here in 1996. The cathedral had transfigured by his arrival: thrones were shining with vermeil and icons were robed in carved icon-cases.
His Holiness Patriarch Alexy II had celebrated the Divine Liturgy in Saint-Uspensky Sobor (Assumption Cathedral) on 10 November 1996. The Church was granted by Archpriest with Communion-table Gospel and Eucharistic vessels, on which the mystery of the Eucharist was administered in that unforgettable day.
The Solemn Procession was held after thanksgiving prayer. His Holiness Patriarch Alexy II consecrated the beginning of construction of the Orthodox spiri-tual and administrative center of Tashkent, which has been developed in our day.