The State Museum of Applied Arts
Address: 15, Rakatboshi Str., Tashkent
Phone: (+998 71) 256 39 43
Fax: (+998 71) 256 40 42
Day off: open every day
Guided tours: in Uzbek, Russian, English, German and French
In State museum of applied art of Uzbekistan there are more than 7,000 pieces of traditional folk art, starting from the first half of XIX century until modern times. The museum collection is represented by all regions of Uzbekistan, many of which are recognized as centers of artful handicrafts. Among the exhibits you will find ceramic, glass and porcelain plates and dished, samples of hand-made and machine embroidery, national fabrics and clothes, carpets, works of wood engraving, varnished miniatures, jewelry and many other things.
The museum attracts by its atmosphere, which lets a visitor feel all charm of ancient objects and interior. It also hosts trade exhibitions of contemporary works of art created on the basis of local traditional techniques. This museum bears interest not only by its collection, but also by the building itself, which represents a model of architectural decorative art. This building was a former castle-residence of Russian diplomat A. A. Polovtsev, and was built in the end of XIX century in a national style. Master of the castle was a great connoisseur of the East. Aphorism depicted above his reception room doors using Persian characters says: “World is a castle where new people enter every day”.
Museum of handicrafts was a predecessor of this Museum of applied art. The former was established on the basis of Uzbekistan handicrafts exhibition, which was held since 1927. Since 1938 the museum was located in its current building. In 1960 it was named “Permanent exhibition of applied art of Uzbekistan”, and since 1997 it was passed into authority of the Ministry of culture and received a status of State museum of applied art of Uzbekistan.