Katon-Karagay National Park
Nature of Kazakhstan. National Parks. Kazakhstan recreation zones
Welcome to Katon-Karagai!
Eastern Kazakhstan is a truly unique part of Central Asia, bordering Russia, China, and Mongolia. Here the Silk Road branches out, connecting Southern Siberia, the Altai, Central Asia and Western China. The landscape is colorful, with snow covered mountain peaks, fantastical rocky cliffs, enchanting cedar forests, wonderful lakes, fast-flowing rivers and brightly colored wildflowers.
Guesthouses operate in Uryil, Berel, Yazevoe, and Akmaral villages. You can prepare a meal yourself on the gas stove or the hosts will prepare Kazakh national food.
Food is prepared using locally available ingredients wherever possible, often including fruit, vegetables, and bread, honey and dairy products grown or made by your hosts.
And of course, tea is always available!
- Horse and hiking routes around the National Park, accompanied by a guide.
- Visit local craftsmen, where you may buy some souvenirs.
- Fishing with rods or nets.
- Berry and herb picking; at different times of the summer you can collect wild strawberries, blackberries, black and red currants, * raspberries, and mushrooms.
- Honey farms, where you can be introduced to the art of honey making, taste and buy the most delicious honey in the Altai, try honey beer and even recieve a bee venom treatment!
- Traditional farms, where you can try cow and goat milking, and learn about fodder collection and storage, and the production of * dairy products, including cheese, butter, and sour cream.
- Katon-Karagai region is situated in the border zone of Kazakhstan, Mongolia, China and Russia.
- If you want to take a walk or trip around the territory of the National Park, you need to register at the administration office before entering (184 Tenge per person per day for citizens of Kazakhstan and the CIS; for foreign visitors price varies).
You will be visiting a mountain region where the weather is very unpredictable. Particularly for treks, we suggest that you bring with you: a hat, sunglasses, light waterproof jacket, warm clothes for evening, and a good attitude!
Community Based Ecotourism
By choosing this destination or any other offered by the Ecotourism Information Resource Center you will be playing an important part in supporting these special places.
What makes these trips different is that all the services are operated by and benefit local people. You will have the pleasure of meeting the people who call these beautiful places "home", and the satisfaction of knowing that the money you spend is staying in the area - providing much-needed income to the families you meet and protecting the environment you explore.
Ecotourism Information Resource Center
Republic of Kazakhstan 050091, Almaty 71 Zheltoksan Str. Phone/Fax: +7 /3272/ 79 81 46 e-mail: email@example.com
Or phone the local coordinator on 79 81 46, 78 02 89