Osh City Tour
Sulaiman Too Mountain, Dom Babura, Sulaiman Too National Historical and Archaeological Museum, Silk Road Museum, Jayma Bazaar, Cathedral of Archangel Michael
For centuries Sulaiman Too Mountain (literally Solomon’s Throne) near Osh, Kyrgyzstan was a welcoming sight for weary Silk Road travelers, as it marked the halfway point along the seemingly endless road. Today this five-peaked splendor, dotted with caves, crevices and holy sites, is one of the main shrines in Islamic Central Asia, locally considered a sacred mountain and internationally recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the pride and joy of Kyrgyzstan’s second-largest city.
In the morning your guide and driver will meet you at your Osh hotel to begin the sightseeing tour, beginning with Sulaiman Too Mountain, revered over the years by Zoroastrians, animists and Muslims alike:
- Follow religious pilgrims to the top of the hill to absorb the sweeping panoramic view of Osh, noting the multiple shrines and holy markers erected along the path.
- Visit Dom Babura (Bobur’s Prayer House), built in the 16th century as a private prayer center by Bobur, founder of the Mughal Empire.
- Tour the Sulaiman Too National Historical and Archaeological Museum, one of the largest museums in all Kyrgyzstan. It’s housed in a mountain cave and holds several impressive, informative exhibits.
- The way up and down the mountain takes around one hour.
After completing the descent, continue your discovery of Osh at the following:
- Silk Road Museum, a small museum situated at the bottom of Sulaiman Too that holds a collection of artefacts discovered on the premises.
- Jayma Bazaar, where locals have bargained for goods since the Silk Road era. Amble among the colorful aisles, passing handmade souvenirs, freshly baked bread and carpenters hard at work.
- Continue to the main square to see landmark governmental buildings and the largest statue of Lenin in all Central Asia.
- Observe the somber Victory Monument, where an eternal flame honors those from Osh who lost their lives in World War II.
- Admire the Cathedral of Archangel Michael, a quaint Russian Orthodox Church more than 100 years old.
Drop-off at your Osh hotel. End of Osh City Tour.
Tour Duration: approximately 4 hours
Good to know: It’s also possible to make a one-day tour to Osh from Bishkek, as there are morning and evening flights between the two cities.
- Private, local guide;
- Entrance fees to the sights as per itinerary;
- Transport throughout the city tour (1-2 sedan, 3-8 minivan).
CITY TOUR NOTES
The tour is private with your personal guide. There will be no other people joining the tour.
Our guides will follow your own pace.
The starting time of the tour is up to you and may vary from 09.00 am to 16.00 pm.
We are happy to offer this tour for air/train passengers too. Our guide will meet you at the arrival station.
No tour reviews have been posted yet.