Day Trip to Uzgen from Osh
Uzgen Complex, Orom Rice Mill, Uzgen Bazaar
To visit Uzgen, a town near Osh in Kyrgyzstan’s Fergana Valley, is to walk the ancient and noble streets of one of the oldest cities in Kyrgyzstan. With history stretching back more than two millennia, Uzgen reached its zenith as a large trading hub and regional capital of the powerful Karakhanid Dynasty in the Middle Ages. While this once densely populated city now has a population of less than 50,000 people, it remains a significant center of history and cultural preservation.
Come explore this medieval seat of power on the Ancient Uzgen Day Tour, a convenient day trip that begins and ends at your hotel doorstep in Osh. Climb the famous Uzgen Minaret, admiring the commanding view from the top as you ponder the rulers and warriors in whose footsteps you stand. Walk about the mausoleums that remain some of the finest examples of Karakhanid architecture in all Kyrgyzstan. Tour the local rice mill, museum and bazaar as your local guide provides fascinating background information along the way.
After breakfast your guide and driver will meet you at your Osh guesthouse and drive to Uzgen (60km, 1hr). Upon arrival, explore these Silk Road sites:
- Uzgen Archaeological-Architectural Museum Complex, which includes a small historical museum and the Uzgen Minaret (44m), one of the greatest remnants of the Karakhanid Dynasty in Kyrgyzstan. The site also holds three mausoleums housing the remains of governors from the Karakhanid period.
- Orom Rice Mill, a historic mill that produces an extra-tasty version of red rice, popular in the local dish plov. This is one of the few remaining mills to use ancient wooden technology in its production.
- Uzgen Bazaar, a traditional market in the city center that’s untainted by any effort to cater to tourists. As you sample the fruits and shop for souvenirs, spices and snacks, your guide will provide insights into the local culture and traditions, unchanged for more than 100 years, and help you to hone your bargaining skills.
Drive back to Osh for drop-off at your guesthouse. End of Ancient Uzgen Day Tour.
Tour duration: approximately 6 hours
- Private, local guide;
- Entrance fees to the sights as per itinerary;
- Transport throughout the city tour (1-2 sedan, 3-8 minivan).
CITY TOUR NOTES
The tour is private with your personal guide. There will be no other people joining the tour.
Our guides will follow your own pace.
The starting time of the tour is up to you and may vary from 09.00 am to 16.00 pm.
We are happy to offer this tour for air/train passengers too. Our guide will meet you at the arrival station.
No tour reviews have been posted yet.