Kakheti Wine Day Tour
Tbilisi, Telavi, Tsinandali, Sighnaghi
The Kakheti Wine Day Tour is an appreciation of elegance and tradition. Learn ancient wine making secrets over lunch and wine tasting at the Shumi Georgian Winery and Museum, visit the Chavchavadze House Museum and gardens in Tsinandal, appreciate the religious significance of Bodbe Monastery Complex in Sighnaghi and explore Telavi, the quaint capital of Kakhete Region, all while accompanied by a private driver and an experienced local guide.
Kakheti Region in far east Georgia is authentic wine country at its finest. Out of 2,000 types of grapes found in the world, no less than 500 varieties grow in Kakheti Region, including both famous and lesser-known types. Kakheti produces roughly 70 different kinds of wine, each of which has a distinct taste perfected over centuries. Georgia’s wine capital has been molded by a history all its own, a past that has left its mark on the region through a collection of cultural and historical monuments.
In the morning, drive from Tbilisi to Georgia’s wine country, Kakheti Region, via the Gombori Pass (95km, 1hr 30min).
- Driving to Telavi, capital of Kakheti Region, through picturesque rivers and valleys. Take a short walking tour through Telavi’s charming streets, stopping for photos with the 900-year-old Giant Plane Tree and a monument of Irakli II, king of Kakheti in the 18th century.
- Drive to Tsinandali to tour the Tsinandali Estate, a historical complex which includes a lovely garden and the House Museum of Prince Alexander Chavchavadze, the 19th century poet and stateman who developed the manor.
- Enjoy lunch and wine tasting at the adjacent Shumi Georgian Winery and Museum, an ancient winery that produces exclusive wines and boasts of a unique collection of Georgian and European varieties. All wines are made according to traditional qvevri winemaking methods in centuries-old qvevri vessels.
- Continue to Sighnaghi, a small Silk Road town in east Kakheti that’s surrounded by 23 towers and defensive walls. Walk the narrow cobblestone streets of this outpost known locally as The City of Love.
- In Sighnaghi, explore the Bodbe Monastery Complex (9th century). Also known as St. George’s Monastery, it’s one of Georgia’s most significant religious sites, for St. Nino, credited with converting Georgia to Christianity in the 4th century, is believed to be buried here.
Return to Tbilisi (110km, 1hr, 40min). End of Kakheti Wine Day Tour.
Tour duration: 10-12 hours
- Private, local guide;
- Entrance fees to the sights as per itinerary;
- Lunch and wine tasting at winery;
- Transportation throughout the tour.
CITY TOUR NOTES
The tour is private with your personal guide. There will be no other people joining the tour.
Our guides will follow your own pace.
The starting time of the tour is up to you and may vary from 09.00 am to 16.00 pm.
We are happy to offer this tour for air/train passengers too. Our guide will meet you at the arrival station.
No tour reviews have been posted yet.