Almaty Full-Day City Tour
Panfilov Park, Zenkov Cathedral, Republic Square, Medeo, Kok-Tobe Hill etc.
Almaty is a modern megapolis rising conspicuously from the Kazakhstan steppe, and its varied mix of tourist attractions are as eclectic as the city itself. City landmarks such as Republic Square and the World War II Memorial in historic Panfilov Park provide poignant insights into the history of Kazakhstan, while the Green Bazaar bridges the gap between past and present, continuing in much the same fashion as it has for decades. Travelers anxious to step out of city limits will find nearby Medeo and Kok-Tobe Mountain an accessible and rewarding alternative.
The Almaty Full-Day City Tour is a fun, convenient way to experience the best of both Almaty proper and the mountain attractions that lie on the city’s edges. Accompanied by a well-informed guide and private driver, you’ll tour the Central State Museum at Republic Square and Zenkov Cathedral in Panfilov Park before continuing to the lively Green Bazaar and Almaty Metro. Take a breather from city life to visit the highest skating rink in the world, relax at Kok-Tobe’s mini mountain amusement park and ride the cable cars that will transport you between towering mountains and bustling metropolis.
Your guide and driver will meet you in the lobby of your hotel to begin the Almaty city tour:
- Walk the pleasant pathways of Panfilov Park, named after an esteemed general who perished while defending his homeland. Within the park is the corresponding World War II Memorial Complex, whose focal point is a gigantic monument of soldiers bravely in advance, with an eternal flame blazing nearby.
- Visit Zenkov Cathedral (a.k.a Ascension Cathedral), also situated in Panfilov Park. Constructed entirely of wood without a single metal nail, this colorful five-domed wonder is one of the oldest buildings in Almaty, with an interior as culturally enlightening as its outer façade.
- Plunge into the atmosphere of Green Bazaar, a lively eastern market whose festive colors, mouth-watering smells and lively crowds transform an ordinary shopping trip into an unforgettable cultural experience. It’s the perfect spot to purchase dried fruits and famous Kazakhstan chocolates...but don’t forget to bargain!
- Stop by Republic Square, where the Mayor’s Office, Central State Museum and former Presidential Palace encircle the Monument of Independence, a towering statue of the Golden Man flanked by smaller symbolic sculptures and bronze bas-reliefs depicting the country’s history.
- Tour the Central State Museum of the Republic of Kazakhstan, containing nearly a quarter million permanent and temporary exhibits, including its most well-known display, a replica of the Golden Man. Exhibits are very informative, covering the full gamut of Kazakhstan ethnography and history from prehistoric times to the 21st century.
- Ride the 21st-century Almaty Metro, whose tunnels give the impression that you’re in a palace instead of a public subway system. Each station has been beautifully designed to portray a specific theme, and you’ll stop at 2-3 stations to admire the colorful, intricate murals.
Drive from Almaty to Medeo along a scenic mountain road (18km), to see the world's highest Olympic-sized skating rink.
Continue the tour with a short drive to Kok-Tobe Hill, which provides a striking panoramic view of Almaty. Entertain yourself atop Kok-Tobe with the petting zoo, souvenir shops, famous Beatles statue and a meander down the Alley of Lovers. (Activities available for additional cost include a Ferris wheel and numerous snack options).
Take a short ride from the top of the hill to the city center on the famous Almaty Cable Cars.
Tour Duration: approximately 6 hours
- Private, local English-speaking guide;
- Entrance fees to the sights as per itinerary (including metro token and cable car);
- Transportation throughout the tour.
No tour reviews have been posted yet.