Aktau City Tour
Jutting into the Caspian Sea on Kazakhstan’s western shore is the town of Aktau (White Mountain), named for its jagged white crags that drop into the turquoise waters below. Capital of Mangystau Region, Aktau sits amid sandy beaches and rolling waves on the west and lonely desert to the east, an important port city that has managed, thanks to its remote locale, to retain a Soviet-era ambience well into the 21st century.
The Aktau City Tour introduces you to the history and unique vibe of this Caspian Sea town, uncovering under-the-radar destinations that unite together like jigsaw pieces to provide an overarching picture of the city. Visit multiple sites near the city center, including the regional museum, Republic Square and monuments to Kashagan Kurzhimanuly and Taras Shevchenko, Kazakh and Russian poets who greatly impacted the city. The tour will also take you to the docks and seaport for memorable views of the Caspian Sea.
A guide and driver will meet you at your Aktau hotel for a city tour to the following:
- Mangistau Regional History Museum, where you’ll walk through the history of Aktau and see depictions of its nature, wildlife and culture;
- Annunciation Orthodox Church and Beket-Ata Mosque, new additions to the city that reflect its long and complicated history;
- Taras Shevchenko Memorial on the Caspian Sea coast, a thoughtful tribute to the Ukranian poet who spent seven years of exile in Aktau;
- Aktau’s oldest (and strangest) lighthouse, the only lighthouse in Eurasia built atop an apartment block;
- Aktau City Quay near Cape Cretaceous, perfect for a calm and scenic stroll;
- Kashagan Kurzhimanuly Monument, a prominent statue of the venerated Kazakh akyn (singer-poet);
- Republic Square, one of Aktau’s key landmarks dating back to the Soviet era;
- Aktau seaport, a vital lifeline for the city which services international maritime corridors.
Transfer back to your hotel. End of Aktau City Tour.
Tour duration: 3-4 hours
- Private, local guide;
- Entrance fees to the sights as per itinerary;
- Transportation throughout the tour.