Martvili, Okatse and Prometheus Adventure Tour
Martvili Canyon, Martvili Monastery, Okatse Canyon, Kinchkha Waterfall, Prometheus Cave
Get ready for thrilling discoveries on the Martvili, Okatse and Prometheus Adventure Tour! Boat rides and bridges create a fairytale atmosphere at Martvili Canyon, while a trek across the precarious foot bridge of Okatse Canyon will leave you wondering if you’ve stepped into an Indiana Jones movie. The somber atmosphere of Martvili Monastery betrays a past filled with pagan worship and influential abbots, while Prometheus Cave’s otherworldly aura never fails to stun and impress.
The town of Martvili would likely have remained obscure had it not been for nearby Martvili Canyon, a spectacular ravine carved around the turquoise waters of the Abashi River. As if to prove that stunning natural formations are more than just a fluke of nature in western Georgia, the nearby Okatse Canyon and Prometheus Cave will take your breath away with their intricately carved rock formations and gushing Kinchkha Waterfall, made all the more memorable when experienced on a suspension bridge at dizzying heights or while shuffling through the corridors of an eerily lit cavern.
In the morning your driver and guide will meet you at your hotel in Kutaisi to begin your tour, starting with a drive to Martvili Canyon (48km, 55min).
- Take a boat ride through the beautiful rock crevices of Martvili Canyon, which tower up to 40 meters. The ride covers about 1 kilometer of river and takes approximately 30 minutes. Continue exploration with a walk through the canyon to discover waterfalls, bridges and observation areas.
- Drive to nearby Martvili Monastery (7th century). Also known as Chkondidi Monastery, its unique architecture, distinctive windows and colorful murals speak of the monastery’s rich history, while the site provides a magnificent view of the town.
- Depart Martvilli and drive to Okatse Canyon (25km, 30min.). Experience the wild, magnificent nature of Okatse Canyon, a stretch of ravines up to 100 meters deep, as you walk an 800-meter-long suspension bridge to reach an observation deck dangling above the canyon depths.
- Kinchkha Waterfall is just 4 kilometers from the canyon. Particularly gorgeous in the springtime, its cool, refreshing mists tumble from a height of 88 meters.
- Head for Prometheus Cave (45km, 1hr) in Tskaltubo. Also called Kumistavi Cave, it’s the largest cave in Georgia with six separate caverns open for visitor exploration. Walk through a 1400-meter-long tunnel as you enjoy the natural stalactite formations accentuated by colored lights and music.
Drive back to Kutaisi (20km, 30min). End of Martvili, Okatse and Prometheus Adventure Tour.
Tour duration: 7-8 hours
- As the canyons and cave are closed to visitors on Mondays, this tour is available from Tuesdays-Sundays only.
- It’s advised that you bring snacks along with you on the tour.
- Private, local guide;
- Entrance fees to the sights as per itinerary;
- Transportation throughout the city tour.
CITY TOUR NOTES
The tour is private with your personal guide. There will be no other people joining the tour.
Our guides will follow your own pace.
The starting time of the tour is up to you and may vary from 09.00 am to 16.00 pm.
We are happy to offer this tour for air/train passengers too. Our guide will meet you at the arrival station.
No tour reviews have been posted yet.