Khor-Virap, Noravank and Areni Day Tour
Khor-Virap Monastery, Noravank Monastery, Areni Cave, Areni Winery
On the Khor-Virap, Noravank and Areni Day Tour, experience Mount Ararat at its finest as you discover some of the oldest history in the world. Crawl into the infamous dungeon at Khor-Virap Monastery, unearth the world’s oldest winery at the dark and mysterious Areni Cave, stand awestruck at the natural and manmade splendor of Noravank Monastery and enjoy the taste of perfection at Areni Winery.
Southeast Armenia is a treasure trove of natural and historical wonders. Consider Khor-Virap, regarded as the most sacred monastery in the land and one of the country’s most-visited sites. Noravank Monastery in Vayots Dzor Province literally has history inscribed upon its walls, while in Areni Cave, estimated to be 6000 years old, some of the world’s oldest artifacts were recently discovered.
Meet your private guide and driver in Yerevan to travel to Khor-Virap in southeast Armenia (45km, 50min), passing through green pastures on the way.
- Discover Khor-Virap Monastery (dates vary), located near Mt. Ararat in Artashat (Artaxata), ancient capital of Armenia. Originally a royal dungeon, the site now includes a beautiful monastery, the remains of an old chapel, monks’ cells and the original dungeon.
Drive to Noravank (85km, 1hr 30min).
- Visit Noravank Monastery (13th century), located on a beautiful mountainous precipice near Zangezur Canyon. The complex includes St. Karapet Cathedral, built by Armenian noble Liparit Orbelian, and the St. Gregory and St. Astvatsatsin sepulchers, as well as various cross stone khachkars.
- Explore nearby Areni Cave, where the world’s oldest shoe and winery were discovered and where ancient qvevri wine vessels are still on display.
- Tour Areni Winery, one of Armenia’s most popular wineries. Admire its traditional stone walls and wooden door and taste local wines distilled from grapes, apricots and pomegranates.
Return to Yerevan for drop-off at the hotel (110km, 2hrs). End of Khor-Virap, Noravank and Areni Day Tour.
Tour duration: 7-8 hours
- Private, local guide;
- Entrance fees to the sights as per itinerary, including wine tasting;
- Transportation throughout the tour.
CITY TOUR NOTES
The tour is private with your personal guide. There will be no other people joining the tour.
Our guides will follow your own pace.
The starting time of the tour is up to you and may vary from 09.00 am to 16.00 pm.
We are happy to offer this tour for air/train passengers too. Our guide will meet you at the arrival station.
No tour reviews have been posted yet.