Aragatsotn Province Day Tour
Ashtarak, Ohanavan, Amberd, Oshakan
Aragatsotn Province Day Tour is a journey through dramatic terrain to an otherworldly destination of monasteries, castles and cathedrals. Totter above the earth at Hovhannavank Cathedral and Saghmosavank Monastery, survey the land from Amberd Fortress on Mt. Aragats and get back to the basics at Armenian Alphabet Monument on this historical and cultural journey.
Aragatsotn Province in Western Armenia is graced with postcard-worthy landscapes that accentuate the stark beauty of its timeworn chapels and monasteries. From the cherry stone walls of Karmravor Church to the tomb and chapel of Saint Mesrop Mashtots, whose legacy is scribbled all across the nation, Aragatsotn is history wrapped in elegance and charm.
Meet your private guide and driver in Yerevan to travel to Aragatsotn Province (22km, 25min), where you’ll visit the following:
- Karmravor Church (7th century), whose named aptly means “reddish”. Situated in the small town of Ashtarak, it is also known as the Holy Mother of God Church and is the only historical church in Armenia still covered in its original roof.
- Hovhannavank Cathedral (13th century), a famous educational and theological center on the cusp of the Kasagh River in Ohanavan which is famous for its cruciform design and umbrella-shaped dome.
- Saghmosavank Monastery (13th century), erected by Prince Vache Vachutian and known for its manuscript collection, its dazzling view of the Kasagh River Canyon leaves many speechless.
- Armenian Alphabet Monument (2005), larger-than-life recreations of local letters which were created in Artashavan village to celebrate the 1600th anniversary of the Armenian alphabet.
Drive to Amberd village (27km, 50min) to explore:
- Amberd Fortress (dates vary), located 2300 meters above sea level on the slope of Mt. Aragats, the highest peak in Armenia. Much of the famous castle’s bath house and robust walls, as well as the 11th-century Vahramashen Church, remain intact.
Continue to Oshakan (30km, 40min) for one final stop:
- Saint Mesrop Mashtots Church (dates vary), an Armenian Apostolic Church and popular pilgrimage destination built to mark the grave of Mesrop Mashtots, father of the Armenian alphabet.
Drive back to Yerevan. End of Aragatsotn Province Day Tour.
Tour duration: approximately 6 hours
- Private, local guide;
- Entrance fees to the sights as per itinerary;
- Transportation throughout the tour.
No tour reviews have been posted yet.