Dushanbe City Tour
Hissar Fortress, Kukhna Madrasah, Khistin Caravanserai, National Museum of Tajikistan etc.
Dushanbe, Tajikistan is a surprisingly alluring city, captivating the imagination of visitors with its leafy boulevards, sprawling bazaars, lush green parks and tranquil atmosphere. With historical monuments relegated mainly to the city’s outskirts at Hissar Historical Reserve, Dushanbe proper welcomes travelers with informative museums, including an exhibit of one of the largest statues of Buddha in the world, and Soviet architecture intermingled with post-independent displays of lavishness. Welcome to Dushanbe, a city that will not disappoint those who stop to appreciate its charm.
The Dushanbe City Tour can be easily accommodated into the schedule of independent trekkers, travelers who find themselves on a long layover or tourists planning a couple of days in this restful city. Included in this day tour is a drive to the Hissar Historical Reserve plus a private guided tour of Dushanbe’s most popular parks, monuments, theaters and museums, where you’ll learn firsthand about Dushanbe past and present and have the chance to shop for local souvenirs.
In the morning your guide and driver will meet you at hotel reception for your private Dushanbe City Tour, beginning with a drive to the sites at Hissar Historical and Cultural Reserve (30km, 50min):
- Hissar Fortress (17th-19th centuries), where the impressive gates of a castle, once the home of a Bukharin emir, still amaze with their stateliness;
- Kukhna Madrasah (17th century), a spacious religious school that functioned until the early 20th century, it now contains a small history museum;
- Khistin Caravanserai (19th century), an unusual caravanserai constructed of burnt brick.
The site also includes a mosque and an additional madrasah.
Drive back to Dushanbe to continue your tour:
- Excursion to the National Museum of Antiquities of Tajikistan, housed in an artsy 2-storey building and holding more than 40,000 expositions on Tajikistan’s history, nature and art, including a 13-meter statue of Buddha discovered on Tajikistan territory;
- Continue your tour with Haji Yaqub Mosque (19th century), Dushanbe’s landmark mosque that can hold up to 3,000 people;
- Rudaki Park, a beautifully manicured park filled with fountains, flowers and foliage, with a tasteful monument of Rudaki in the center;
- Gurminj Musical Instruments Museum, dedicated to celebrating and preserving the musical heritage of the Tajiks and Pamiris through a collection of national instruments, music lessons and periodic concerts;
- Ayni Opera and Ballet Theatre (1940s), whose gorgeous outer décor is accentuated by the pristine lawns that surround it;
- Statue of Ismail Somoni, a classy tribute to the founder of the Tajik people which towers 25 meters high in the city center;
- Mehrgon Bazaar, one of Dushanbe’s newest attractions, this large indoor bazaar is housed in an ornately designed and decorated atrium.
Return to your hotel. End of Dushanbe City Tour.
Tour duration: approximately 5 hours
- Private, local guide;
- Entrance fees to the sights as per itinerary;
- Transport throughout the city tour (1-2 sedan, 3-8 minivan).
CITY TOUR NOTES
The tour is private with your personal guide. There will be no other people joining the tour.
Our guides will follow your own pace.
The starting time of the tour is up to you and may vary from 09.00 am to 16.00 pm.
We are happy to offer this tour for air/train passengers too. Our guide will meet you at the arrival station.
No tour reviews have been posted yet.