Ancient Penjikent and Sarazm Tour
Tucked at the foot of the Fann Mountains along Tajikistan’s westernmost border sits Penjikent, an unassuming trade town of less than 50,000 people. Yet within the shadows of modern-day Penjikent are two historically monumental settlements – Sarazm, one of the world’s oldest cities that bears testimony to the development of human civilizations in Central Asia, and Ancient Penjikent, which was founded in the 5th century BC and remained one of the greatest cities along the Silk Road for the next three centuries.
Penjikent and Sarazm Day Tour is an informative tour in a welcoming town which offers ample history and culture to the few tourists who take the time to appreciate its value. Your private guide will walk you through Sarazm, ancient Penjikent and the noteworthy Rudaki Museum, explaining the significance of unmarked exhibits and landmarks, and complete the trip with a tour of present-day Penjikent’s most significant sites which provide a glimpse of life in the city today.
In the morning your driver and guide will pick you up from your Penjikent hotel to start your tour of Penjikent’s greatest sites:
- Republican Museum of History (Rudaki Museum), which has eight exhibition halls on archaeology, nature, history, culture, lifestyle, Tajik customs and the life of Rudaki, the founder of Tajik-Persian classical literature.
- Central Mosque and Olim Dodkhoh Madrasah, originally from the Middle Ages and rebuilt in recent times, it now serves as the city’s main mosque and a popular gathering place for locals.
- Penjikent Bazaar – a bustling bazaar at the junction of the city’s main roads, complete with all the standard goods and Tajik souvenirs.
- Ancient Penjikent (5th century BC), a labyrinth of walls and passages decorated with amazing murals, the site includes foundations of houses, Zoroastrian fire temples, a cemetery and reconstructed living spaces.
Continue you tour and drive to the settlement of Sarazm (15km, 15min), a UNESCO World Heritage Site and sprawling ancient city, known to have been founded by 3500BC. The excavation site is divided into three sections and still holds intact structures of palaces, temples, altars, homes, city walls and paved roads.
Return to your hotel. End of the Penjikent and Sarazm Day Tour.
Tour duration: approximately 4 hours
- Private, local guide;
- Entrance fees to the sights as per itinerary;
- Transport throughout the city tour (1-2 sedan, 3-8 minivan).
No tour reviews have been posted yet.