Borjomi, Rabati and Vardzia Tour
Borjomi, Akhaltsikhe, Vardzia
Borjomi, Rabati and Vardzia Fortress Tour is a delightful day tour to some of central Georgia’s most memorable sites. Climb the turrets of Rabati Castle in Akhaltsikhe, wander the labyrinth of tunnels in Vardzia Cave and relax amidst the forests and mineral springs of Borjomi Central Park. Khertvisi Fortress and Samtskhe-Javakheti History Museum provide memorable glimpses into Georgia’s colorful past, while drives through the countryside will impress you anew with Georgia’s grandeur.
Central Georgia has plenty to offer the curious traveler. Be it a taste of medieval monastic life in a fantastical cave town setting in Vardzia, the resort town Borjomi with its acclaimed mineral waters or the Rabati Fortress that put small town Akhaltsikhe on the map, each town provides a glimpse of Georgia past and present that you won’t find elsewhere in the country.
In the morning, your guide and driver will meet you at your hotel in Borjomi to begin your private tour:
- Take a walk in Borjomi Central Park and taste the famous “BORJOMI” mineral water from the spring itself. Ride the cable cars, enjoy the Borjomi forest and breathe in the fresh air as you immerse yourself in nature.
- Drive to Akhaltsikhe (50km, 45min) for an excursion to Rabati Castle (dates vary). Climb the walls and watchtowers of the old stone fortress, which stands on a hill along the shore of the Potskhovi River, and tour the castle quarters, houses of worship and gardens.
- Visit the Samtskhe-Javakheti History Museum on the premises of Rabati Castle. The museum will walk you through Georgian history, from the BC era to the 19th century, with informative exhibits.
- Drive to Vardzia (60km, 1hr), with a short stop along the way at Khertvisi Fortress (10th-13th centuries), a former Silk Road post and one of the oldest citadels in Georgia.
- Arrive at Vardzia Cave to wander through the tunnels, stairwells, cave rooms and temple of the biggest cave city in Georgia. Erected in the 12th century by King George III and Queen Tamar, this cave monastery was excavated from the Erusheti Mountains and resembles a fantasy kingdom from Lord of the Rings.
Drive back to Borjomi (90km, 1hr 30 min). End of Borjomi, Rabati and Vardzia Fortress Tour.
Tour duration: approximately 7 hours
We can arrange a same-day tour to Rabati Castle and Vardzia Cave from Tbilisi upon request.
- Private guide;
- Entrance fees to the sights as per itinerary, including cable car ride;
- Mineral water (0.5 liter per person);
- Transportation throughout the tour.
CITY TOUR NOTES
The tour is private with your personal guide. There will be no other people joining the tour.
Our guides will follow your own pace.
The starting time of the tour is up to you and may vary from 09.00 am to 16.00 pm.
We are happy to offer this tour for air/train passengers too. Our guide will meet you at the arrival station.
No tour reviews have been posted yet.