Monasteries of Alaverdi and Dilijan Tour
Dilijan, Alaverdi, Gosh
Monasteries of Alaverdi and Dilijan Tour is a dreamy circuit of hermitages nestled throughout scenic northern Armenia. The guided tour includes the UNESCO World Heritage Sites of Sanahin and Haghpat Monasteries, Haghartsin and Goshavank multiplexes and the famous Odzun Monastery and Church, each of which offers a unique glimpse into the nation’s distant past.
Armenia’s northern Lori and Tavush Provinces are famed for their religious relics, architectural masterpieces framed against a majestic backdrop of stunning mountains and captivating nature. Across the foliage-laden grounds of each medieval monastery, mysteries of the past await you in ancient belfries, libraries, crypts, churches and vaults.
In the morning, meet your private guide and driver at your hotel in Dilijan and drive to Alaverdi (95km, 1hr 45min).
Stop in Lori Region at Odzun Monastery and Church (6th century), whose conglomerate of arched outer galleries, colorful frescoes and traditional inner designs remain well preserved thanks to multiple restoration efforts.
Cross a 12th-century bridge built by the Queen of Van on your way to two UNESCO World Heritage Sites near Alaverdi:
- Sanahin Monastery Complex (10th century), the former administrative and religious center of the Kyurikians Kingdom. Explore the university, library, scriptorium, ancestral tombs and wooded grounds of the famous ensemble which includes St. Astvatsatsin, Amenaperkich and St. Gregory Churches.
- Haghpat Monastery (10th century), a former science center holding a rich collection of manuscripts, the monastery sits on a large plateau surrounded by deep ravines. Along with the main St. Neshan Cathedral, the complex includes several churches and a dining hall, scriptorium, bell tower and tombstones.
- Drive to Haghartsin Monastery (10th-13thcenturies), hidden in a wooded corner of paradise some ten kilometers from Dilijan. Visit the original St. Gregory Church, tiny St. Stepanos Church, central St. Astvatsatsin Cathedral and the refectory, the latter of which is an impressive example of medieval secular architecture.
- Continue to Goshavank Monastery Complex (12th -13th centuries), located in the picturesque village of Gosh. Formerly a major university and library, you’ll have the chance to tour its churches and see Armenia’s famous cross-stone khachkars.
Drop-off at the hotel. End of Monasteries of Alaverdi and Dilijan Tour.
Tour duration: approximately 8 hours
- Private, local guide;
- Entrance fees to the sights as per itinerary;
- Transportation throughout the tour.
No tour reviews have been posted yet.