Take the Khujand City Tour to acquaint yourself with a city that’s bursting with energy and inundated with character, where you’ll be charmed by its welcoming atmosphere. Your tour will wind through the Khujand Fortress, a citadel and museum at the heart of the city, and continue to a sheikh’s memorial complex, a central park with historical mosaics and into one of the largest, most colorful bazaars in all Central Asia. Come explore Khujand, Tajikistan’s gem of the valley.
In the morning your guide and driver will meet you at hotel reception in Khujand to begin your city tour, which includes:
- Khujand Fortress: First built in the 5th century BC, rebuilt in the Middle Ages and again reconstructed in recent times, the Khujand Fortress was once one of the most impenetrable castles in Central Asia.
- Historical Museum of Sughd: Housed in the Khujand Fortress, this museum brings the region’s history to life with moving depictions of Alexander the Great’s conquests and unusual artefacts preserved from the territory of historical Sughd.
- Mausoleum of Sheikh Muslihiddin Khujandi (dates vary): This impressive two-story mausoleum commemorating Sheikh Muslihiddin, a 12th century ruler and poet, is situated in a memorial complex that includes a mosque, towering 20-meter minaret and an assortment of lesser mausoleums.
- Panjshanbe Bazaar (Thursday Bazaar): Walk about this bright and colorful oriental market, rumored to be the best in Tajikistan, where you can sample fresh fruits and mingle with shoppers from Khujand and the surrounding villages.
- Somoni Park: A welcoming stretch of land and popular gathering place for local residents, Somoni Park displays a prominent statue of Ismoil Somoni plus fountains and bright mosaics that depict the city’s history.
Drop-off at your Khujand hotel. End of Khujand City Tour.
Tour duration: 4-5 hours