Khujand City Tour
Khujand Fortress, Historical Museum of Sughd, Mausoleum of Sheikh Muslihiddin Khujandi, Payshanba Bazaar, Somoni Park
Khujand may be a name unfamiliar to many, yet it’s one of Central Asia’s oldest cities, having weathered more than 2,500 years of change that saw conquest by Alexander the Great, the reign of Ismoil Somoni, an influx of travelers along the great Silk Road and the 20th century transitions to Soviet rule and independence. Today it sits as the second largest metropolis in Tajikistan, a prosperous and lively city that bridges wider Tajikistan with its Uzbek neighbors.
Take the Khujand City Tour to acquaint yourself with a city that’s bursting with energy and inundated with character, where you’ll be charmed by its welcoming atmosphere. Your tour will wind through the Khujand Fortress, a citadel and museum at the heart of the city, and continue to a sheikh’s memorial complex, a central park with historical mosaics and into one of the largest, most colorful bazaars in all Central Asia. Come explore Khujand, Tajikistan’s gem of the valley.
In the morning your guide and driver will meet you at hotel reception in Khujand to begin your city tour, which includes:
- Khujand Fortress: First built in the 5th century BC, rebuilt in the Middle Ages and again reconstructed in recent times, the Khujand Fortress was once one of the most impenetrable castles in Central Asia.
- Historical Museum of Sughd: Housed in the Khujand Fortress, this museum brings the region’s history to life with moving depictions of Alexander the Great’s conquests and unusual artefacts preserved from the territory of historical Sughd.
- Mausoleum of Sheikh Muslihiddin Khujandi (dates vary): This impressive two-story mausoleum commemorating Sheikh Muslihiddin, a 12th century ruler and poet, is situated in a memorial complex that includes a mosque, towering 20-meter minaret and an assortment of lesser mausoleums.
- Panjshanbe Bazaar (Thursday Bazaar): Walk about this bright and colorful oriental market, rumored to be the best in Tajikistan, where you can sample fresh fruits and mingle with shoppers from Khujand and the surrounding villages.
- Somoni Park: A welcoming stretch of land and popular gathering place for local residents, Somoni Park displays a prominent statue of Ismoil Somoni plus fountains and bright mosaics that depict the city’s history.
Drop-off at your Khujand hotel. End of Khujand City Tour.
Tour duration: 4-5 hours
- Private, local guide;
- Entrance fees to the sights as per itinerary;
- Transport throughout the city tour (1-2 sedan, 3-8 minivan).
CITY TOUR NOTES
The tour is private with your personal guide. There will be no other people joining the tour.
Our guides will follow your own pace.
The starting time of the tour is up to you and may vary from 09.00 am to 16.00 pm.
We are happy to offer this tour for air/train passengers too. Our guide will meet you at the arrival station.
No tour reviews have been posted yet.