Lake Sevan and Sevanavank Monastery Tour
Lake Sevan, Sevanavank Monastery, Hayravank Monastery, Noratus Historical Village
Sevan Lake and Sevanavank Monastery Tour is a literal breath of fresh air sure to revive your body and soul. Travel to sprawling Sevan Lake to relax along its shores, glimpse Armenia’s religious past amid the scenic views of Sevan and Hayravank Monasteries and roam the endless cross stone khachkars at Noratus Historical Village.
Lake Sevan is not only the largest lake in Armenia, it’s the world’s largest alpine lake which is famed for its sapphire waters and mouthwatering trout. Its shores and outlying regions are no less impressive with their medieval monasteries and the historically priceless Noratus Cemetery, the largest intact khachkar cemetery in the world.
In the morning, meet your guide and driver at your hotel in Yerevan and drive to Sevan Lake (70km, 1hr).
- Known as the Blue Eye of Armenia, Lake Sevan has long been famous for its Ishkhan (Prince of Fish) Trout, which was formerly served to Armenian and foreign kings. Unwind amid the picturesque rocky coastline, charming churches and snow-capped mountains as you keep an eye out for its legendary fish.
- Continue to Sevanavank Monastery or Sevan Monastery (9th century), built by Princess Mariam, daughter of King Ashot I, the founder of the Bagratid Dynasty. You’ll climb hundreds of stairs on this island-turned-peninsula to enjoy the view of Lake Sevan and explore the monastery’s two churches, Arakelots (Church of the Apostles) and Astvatsatsin (Church of the Virgin).
- Drive (30km, 30min) to Hayravank Monastery (9th-12th centuries), a secluded hermitage on the shore of Sevan Lake comprised of a church, chapel and an incredible view.
- Head to Noratus Historical Village in Gegharkunik Province (12km, 15min) to see Noratus Cemetery, a unique khachkar graveyard filled with thousands of carved cross stones of various styles and eras.
Return to Yerevan (100km, 1hr 30min). End of Lake Sevan and Sevanavank Monastery Tour.
Tour duration: approximately 6 hours
- Private, local guide;
- Entrance fees to the sights as per itinerary;
- Transportation throughout the tour.
No tour reviews have been posted yet.