Kazbegi and Ananuri Day Tour
Ananuri Castle Complex, People’s Friendship Arch, Mount Kazbek, Gergeti Holy Trinity Church, Jvari Monastery
On the Kazbegi and Ananuri Day Tour, you’ll experience the very fabric of Georgia – castles, mountains, monasteries and legends galore – in a full-day expedition from Tbilisi. Explore Jvari Monastery, one of Georgia’s oldest cultural and religious centers, and Ananuri Castle Complex, legendary site of healing waters and heroic patriotic acts. Stand awestruck at the views of Mount Kazbek and the Caucasus from two of Georgia’s iconic symbols, People’s Friendship Arch and Gergeti Holy Trinity Church, as you create memories to last a lifetime.
Kazbegi Region in northern, mountainous Georgia attracts streams of tourists with the magnificent Mount Kazbek, Georgia’s third-tallest peak that sits just 10 kilometers from the Russian border on the road that links the two nations. South of Kazbegi stands the proud and formidable Ananuri, a medieval fortress complex and former residence of the powerful Argveti Dukes. Together, Ananuri and Kazbegi paint an unforgettable picture of Georgian history and beauty.
A driver and guide will meet you at your hotel in Tbilisi to begin your day trip to Mount Kazbek in Georgia’s northern Kazbegi Region. Drive to Stepantsminda in Kazbegi (160km, 3hrs) via Ananuri Castle.
- Visit Ananuri Castle Complex (16th-17th centuries) to explore the fortresses, admire its churches, climb the medieval tower and stand awestruck before a sweeping view of the Caucasus Mountains and Zhinvali Reservoir.
- Relax as you continue driving to Mount Kazbek; if you’re lucky, you may even come across an army of sheep on the road.
- Stop for a quick photo shoot at the People’s Friendship Arch (1983), from which you’ll have a stunning view of the Caucasus. Also known as the Russia-Georgia Friendship Monument, the mural commemorates solidarity between the nations.
- Arrive in Stepantsminda and take a 10-minute drive* up 2170 meters to Gergeti Holy Trinity Church (14th century), with the snow-capped peak of Mount Kazbek looming before you at 5030 meters. Enjoy the breathtaking view and fresh air as you walk about the mountain, church and bell tower, which represent Georgian history and tenacity in full grandeur.
- Drive back to Tbilisi by way of Jvari Monastery (6th century), a unique remnant of the early Georgian church built at the top of a hill. The church overlooks the confluence of the Mtkvari and Aragvi Rivers and amazes its visitors with simple yet beautiful facades.
Arrive in Tbilisi. End of Kazbegi and Ananuri Day Tour.
Tour duration: 11-12 hours
*As an alternative to driving, you can take an easy one-hour hike up to Gergeti Holy Trinity Church from Stepantsminda on a road that winds through a thorny forest.
- Private, local guide;
- Mineral water (0.5 liter per person);
- Transportation throughout the tour.
CITY TOUR NOTES
The tour is private with your personal guide. There will be no other people joining the tour.
Our guides will follow your own pace.
The starting time of the tour is up to you and may vary from 09.00 am to 16.00 pm.
We are happy to offer this tour for air/train passengers too. Our guide will meet you at the arrival station.
No tour reviews have been posted yet.