The target of your fishing trip - sheat-fish (Silurus glanis). The sheat fish is a freshwater predator, a crafty and cautious fish. Some specimens have a length of up to 5m and can weigh up to 300kg. These specimens are very rare. However, specimens with a weight of 40-90 kg are caught fairly often in the mouths of the Karatal and Lepsy rivers, and in Lake Balkhash.
The sheat-fish's life is unique. In spring, when he wakes up from hibernation, he leaves his winter "apartment" and heads upstream from Lake Balkhash into one of the rivers. There, he occupies holes and other deep silty parts of the river, where he eats his fill of small fish before spawning. The sheat-fish is a typical predator. It feeds mainly on other fish, and won't hesitate to eat frogs, large molluscs, and on occasion, waterfowl.
Species of fish you may catch during sheat-fish fishing. The marine life of the Karatal and Lepsy rivers and Lake Balkhash includes more than 20 species of fish: sheat-fish, barbel, perch, sazan, bream, pike perch, zherekh, amur, one-color gubach, etc. In mountain rivers live osman, marinka, and rainbow trout as well.
Variants of fishing tour. We offer in the description of the program two variants:
- at the mouth of the Karatal river;
- at the mouth of the Lepsy river.
You may choose one of these two.
First variant: Аlmaty - Таldy-Kurgan city - Matau train station - Lepsy train station - Тulebaevo village - mouth of Lepsy river - Аlmaty
Second variant: Almaty - Taldy-Kurgan city - Ushtobe city - Almaly village - mouth of Karatal river - Аlmaty
Duration of the tour: 8 days
Number of fishing days: 5
Accommodation: 2 nights in hotel, 5 nights in tents
Season: May 5 - June 10; September 1 - October 10
Fishing area: Delta of the Karatal and Lepsy rivers, Lake Balkhash
Best time for fishing: May 20 - June 10
Day 1. Arrival in Almaty. Meeting at the airport. Transfer and accommodation in hotel "Otrar" ****. Breakfast. Transfer to mouth of river. Lunch en-route. Dinner. Accommodation at base camp. Overnight in tents.
Day 2. Breakfast. Preparations for fishing. Boat transfer to the fishing spot. Fishing. Return to base camp. Dinner. Overnight in tents.
Day 3. Breakfast. Boat transfer to new fishing spot. Fishing. Lunch. Return to base camp. Dinner. Overnight in tents.
Day 4. Breakfast. Boat transfer to new fishing spot. Fishing. Lunch. Return to base camp. Dinner. Overnight in tents.
Day 5. Breakfast. Fishing. Lunch. Dinner. Overnight in tents.
Day 6. Breakfast. Fishing. Lunch. Lunch. Overnight in tents.
Day 7. Breakfast. Transfer to Almaty. Lunch on the way. Arrival in Almaty, transfer to hotel "Otrar" ****, accommodation. Dinner in a local cafe. Overnight in hotel.
Day 8. Departure from Almaty.
2. Weather. From April to June the weather in the fishing area is hot. Mosquitoes do not appear during April. In May and June they appear after sunset. On sunny days, especially if it is windy, they are not a problem. The weather from September to October is mainly warm, though hot days may occur. Mosquitoes are not a factor.
3. Trophy. Actual specimens of Sheat-fish in the area often are 40 cm to 2.5 m in length. Their weight may range from 5 to 150kg.
4. A helicopter may be used for flights to/from the fishing area, at a cost of $1350 per flight hour.
5. The tables beneath show the conditions of licensed fishing.
6. If you haven't any tackle, you can rent rod and reel - $80 each for the whole tour.
You can alter the duration of your tour and places of visits by adding one of the extensions. Our tour operator will work closely with you or your travel agent to carefully prepare an itinerary based on your stated interests.